The main CakeFaeries activity in Cambridge involves Surprise Cake!
Whether as a means of briefly meeting other CakeFaeries, or of Cake materializing in your pigeonhole...
This activity is big at the start of Michaelmas, and again to express support in the build up to exams in Easter.
This activity is free, and obviously 100 percent harmless and 1000 percent friendly.
If you'd like Surprise Cake this term, email the Great CakeFaeries in the Sky: cakefaeries at gmail.com with:
- Your name:
- email address (@cam if you have one):
- The Magical Means by which Cake can reach you: at least one of
i) where in College your pigeonhole is,
ii) your room address,
iii) that you'd like us to send you a CakeFaerie Identification Badge (see III for details).
- Notes [mention Allergies here, or whether you are a Vegetarian or Vegan. To a certain extent, comments like "No Custard Creams" or "I Haaaate Raisins!" will be considered. You're also welcome to tell us what your pronouns are, here, if you wish :)]:
- Whether you'd like to be an Active CakeFaerie (i.e. would bake and/or buy and/or distribute Surprise Cake, see I. for more details):
- Whether you'd like any of the options (Cake with Silliness, Cake with Duels, CakeFaerie Parents or other Listeny CakeFaerie things, see II for more details):
There is no deadline for joining :)
Signing up for CakeFaeries is done on a term-by-term basis; so you'll need to sign up again if you'd like another piece of cake next term...
Being an Active CakeFaerie is voluntary. You are welcome here, and, regardless of whether one is Active or Passive, we are all CakeFaeries :)
If you volunteer to be an Active CakeFaerie in your sign-up, or in some later note to cakefaeries at gmail.com ,
The Great CakeFaeries In The Sky will sometimes suggest some specific other CakeFaeries for Active CakeFaeries to offer cake to.
Your doing so is entirely voluntary :)
Though, if you do carry out the suggested delivery, you should very briefly notify the Great CakeFaeries so that they don't need to summon further CakeFaeries to that particular address at that particular point in time.
Some of what Active CakeFaeries do has some element of abiding by the CakeFaerie Rules, in particular as regards how to get the cake to destination, taking note of allergy, vegetarian notes, and ways in which CakeFaerie activities are inclusive.
Some Active CakeFaeries are Bakey. Others buy cake, and/or pass on cake baked or bought by other CakeFaeries.
Active CakeFaeries involved in passing on Cake, and arranging for cakey surprises, are Scouty CakeFaeries.
There are occasionally small Bakey CakeFaerie meets (start of term baking parties) and/or small Scouty CakeFaerie raids; these are often small because they are local: CakeFaeries are split up into geographically nearby regions called Fiefs and Realms :)
Active CakeFaeries who complete a certain number of bakings and/or cakings are awarded wands [whether sparkly-magical, or bakey-magical, such as whisks :) Sparkly wands' magic is in Scouty CakeFaeries to be able to look the part, which can be useful in finding Cakefaeries, including other raid members, since raids move around a lot, and so can be harder to find than society meetings...]
[The above and below pictures are links to CakeFaerie options and/or types of event. Click on whichever to see more :) ]
* So Bakey CakeFaeries bake cakes.
* And Scouty CakeFaeries cause the Surprise Cakes to Magically Appear :)
* In the Silly CakeFaeries option, Surprise Cake comes with Silliness... In this option, which some also call "Sheila and her Dog" :) silly/children's book genre rhymes and puns accompany the cake, and some such lines find their way into Silly Chainstories.
* In the Duelly CakeFaeries option, Exchanges of Cake are accompanied by Duel and Battle Waterfights (solely off university property, and with further Rules).
* Listeny CakeFaeries provide the CakeFaerie Parenting options: a parallel of College Parenting :) and also Safer Space Awareness Pages (scroll to the end of this page).
Duelly and Listeny CakeFaeries are further types of Active CakeFaeries, at least in the sense that duels involve cake exchange and CakeFaerie Parents often pie their CakeFaerie Families :)
CakeFaeries can moreover be whichever combination of Bakey, Scouty, Duelly, Silly, Listeny, or none at all.
As a Society, we are strong on passive participants' rights to get a good deal out of activities.
Finally, all CakeFaerie Activities are one and the same kind of Safer Spaces We consider this to be a much more significant aspect than what our activities consist of. (click on any of the above or below pictures to link to the corresponding activity). Indeed, our activities are best understood as a collection of what happen to work as Icebreaker Activities for The New, The Shy and The Different, among which the most common and often first encountered is Surprise Cake.
Note that these are magical, in the sense that if you ask for one of these and wear it, it will occasionally be spotted by an Active CakeFaerie who is carrying cake, and so Surprise Cake will find its way to you :)
IV. The CakeFaeries' Calendar, and CakeFaeries' News
There is somewhat of a term-by-term pattern to when some CakeFaerie activities are more common.
Easter "Relieving Exam Stress" option A substantial amount of cake is given out, especially by Grads, and people who have finished exams for the year.
Michaelmas "Freshers and Socs" option Most Duelling and Chainwriting tends to occur this term.
Lent "CakeFaerie Siblings" option (There is also CakeFaerie Parenting, like College Parenting but between CakeFaeries, every term.)
Click on the below button
for new items entering our webpages [run by the Silly CakeFaeries' "Sheila Herald" and the Listeny CakeFaeries :) ]
Finally, for an Archive of past terms' CakeFaerie Activities, see here :)
V. SOME OF THE PEOPLES WHOM WE SUPPORT THROUGH OUR ACTIVITIES...
In fact, the CakeFaeries' Safer Spaces strive to do all good things that nobody else does.
We support good peoples who so far have been largely overlooked elsehere; some of these are highly invisible peoples.
Doing all of these things means that we are not easily characterized (other than by doing all good things that nobody else does!) What is foremost here is why we do things, rather than what the activities consist of.
__________________________________ Finally, the below refers to encouraging more societies to state and mean such things on their webpages, constitutions... ____________________________________
To join, mail cakefaeries at gmail.com.