The main CakeFaeries activity in Cambridge involves Surprise Cake!
Whether as a means of briefly meeting other CakeFaeries, or of Cake materializing in your pigeonhole...
This activity is big at the start of Michaelmas, and again to express support in the build up to exams in Easter.
This activity is free, and obviously 100 percent harmless and 1000 percent friendly.
Our next most main activity is the CakeFaeries' Scavenger Hunt. This explains why our Society Fair Stall's name starts with "Cakefaeries, Hunts..." indicating that we also run All Year Round Icebreaker Events, at present mostly within a Scavenger Hunt format :)
If you'd like Surprise Cake this term, email the Great CakeFaeries in the Sky: cakefaeries *at* gmail.com with:
--- Your name:
- email address (@cam if you have one):
--- Whether you'd like to be an Active CakeFaerie (i.e. would bake and/or buy and/or distribute Surprise Cake, see section I for more):
- The Magical Means by which Cake can reach you: at least one of
i) where in College your pigeonhole is,
ii) your room address,
iii) that you'd like us to send you a CakeFaerie Identification Badge (see section III for details).--- Whether you'd like any of the options:
- Cake with Silliness,
- Cake with Duels
(both mostly as part of CakeFaerie Scavenger Hunting: see section V for details)
- CakeFaerie Parents (parallel of College Parents) or other Listeny CakeFaerie things (see section V for more details).
--- Notes [mention Allergies here, or whether you are Vegetarian or Vegan. To a certain extent, comments like "No Custard Creams" or "I Haaaate Raisins!" will be considered. You're also welcome to tell us what your pronouns are, here, if you wish :)]:
There is no deadline for joining :)
Signing up for CakeFaeries is done on a term-by-term basis; so you'll need to sign up again if you'd like another piece of cake next term...
Being an Active CakeFaerie is voluntary. You are welcome here; Active or Passive, we are all CakeFaeries :)
If you volunteer to be an Active CakeFaerie in your sign-up, or in some later note to cakefaeries *at* gmail.com ...
Then the Great CakeFaeries In The Sky will sometimes suggest some specific other CakeFaeries for Active CakeFaeries to offer cake to.
Your doing so is entirely voluntary :)
Though, if you do carry out the suggested delivery, you should very briefly notify the Great CakeFaeries so that they don't need to summon further CakeFaeries to that particular address at that particular point in time.
Active CakeFaeries abide by the CakeFaerie Rules, in particular as regards how to get the cake to destination, taking note of allergy, vegetarian... notes, and ways in which CakeFaerie activities are inclusive.
Some Active CakeFaeries are Bakey. Others buy cake, and/or distribute cake baked or bought by other CakeFaeries.
Active CakeFaeries involved in distributing Cake, and arranging for cakey surprises, are called Scouty CakeFaeries.
There are occasionally small Bakey CakeFaerie meets (start of term baking parties) and/or small Scouty CakeFaerie raids; these are often small because they are local: CakeFaeries are split up into geographically nearby regions called Fiefs and Realms :)
* So Bakey CakeFaeries bake (and/or decorate) cakes.
* And Scouty CakeFaeries cause the Surprise Cakes to Magically Appear :)
Active CakeFaeries who complete a certain number of bakings and/or cakings are awarded wands [whether sparkly-magical, or bakey-magical, such as whisks :) Sparkly wands' magic is in Scouty CakeFaeries to be able to look the part, which can be useful in finding Cakefaeries, including other raid members, since raids move around a lot, and so can be harder to find than society meetings...] Some Active CakeFaeries additionally run the activities for the below and the website :)
[This website's pictures are also button links to types of CakeFaerie, Events etc. Click on whichever to see more about it :) ]
* In the Silly CakeFaeries' option, Surprise Cake comes with Silliness... In this option, which some also call "Sheila and her Dog" :) silly/children's book genre rhymes and puns accompany the cake, and some such lines find their way into Silly Chainstories.
* In the Duelly CakeFaeries' option, Exchanges of Cake are accompanied by Duel and Battle Waterfights (solely off university property, and with further Rules).
* Listeny CakeFaeries provide the CakeFaerie Parenting options: a parallel of College Parenting :) and also Safer Space Awareness Pages (scroll to the end of this page).
Duelly and Listeny CakeFaeries are further types of Active CakeFaeries, at least in the sense that duels involve cake exchange and CakeFaerie Parents often pie their CakeFaerie Families :)
CakeFaeries are moreover welcome to be whichever combination that they please of Bakey, Scouty, Duelly, Silly, Listeny, or none at all :)
As a Society, we are strong on passive participants' rights to get a good deal out of activities...
The CakeFaerie Scavenger Hunt is the main activity for Silly and Duelly CakeFaeries, and also includes Bakey, Scouty and Listeny options. Scavenger Hunt items are presented in person at the start and end of term, or by email in the middle of the term. This activity is moreover some peoples' Support Group, with particular emphasis on not-in-person participation, such as Silly Chainwriting and Listeny Awareness webpage writing :)
All CakeFaeries Activities are moreover one and the same kind of General-Purpose Safer Spaces: abuse-free zones for all who harmeth others not, based on
"People who say they are upset are believed without having to say why, and apologies and non-repeats of what caused it are expected" (0)
We consider this to be a much more significant aspect than what our activities consist of; this is much of why the CakeFaerie Rules have very advanced Conduct and Safety sections. Indeed, our activities are best understood as a collection of what happen to work as Icebreaker Activities for The New, The Shy and The Different, among which the most common and often first encountered is Surprise Cake...
All, in all be welcome to join CakeFaeries for whichever combination of Cake, Fun, Safeness, CakeFaerie Parents, or Good Deeds ^_^
Note that CakeFaerie badges are magical, in the sense that if you ask for one of these and wear it, it will occasionally be spotted by an Active CakeFaerie who is carrying cake, and so Surprise Cake will find its way to you :)
There is somewhat of a term-by-term pattern to when some CakeFaerie activities are more common.
Easter "Relieving Exam Stress" option A substantial amount of cake is given out, especially by Grads, and people who have finished exams for the year. CakeFaerie Scavenger Hunting then becomes active in the Mayweek period :)
Michaelmas "Freshers and Socs" option Most Duelling and Chainwriting tends to occur this term.
Lent "CakeFaerie Siblings" option (There is also CakeFaerie Parenting, like College Parenting but between CakeFaeries, every term.)
Click on the below "CakeFaerie News" button for new items entering our webpages [run by the Silly CakeFaeries' "Sheila Herald" and the Listeny CakeFaeries :) ]
Finally, for an Archive of past terms' CakeFaerie Activities, see here :)
* Having now introduced the Listeny CakeFaeries and Safer Space elements and motives of the Society, we can finish explaining why many of our Organizers, Founders and Backers do this, alongside the name of our Society Stall: Cakefaeries, Hunts and Duels' (In)visibility and Education Network...
* The CakeFaeries are run as a General-Purpose (In)Visibility and Education Network (G.I.V.E.N.). We explain this in relation to A.V.E.N.: the Asexual Visibility and Education Network, which gives Visibility to Aces who wish for such, and Educates Whoever-is-Willing-to-Listen about Ace matters. A.V.E.N. by now having demonstrably worked well, a G.I.V.E.N. is then a General-Purpose (In)visibily Network, acting peaceably likewise now for ALL Legal-and-Consensual Peoples.
* This Serves in particular those Peoples who Don't Already Have Recognition or Representation Elsewhere. Such as Avoidant Survivors, Non-Normative Survivors, those who are Closeted about Anything, Fluid in any regard, and many more.
* Our being in part specifically an *In*visibility Network reflects that we say and do what our Closeted Members actually wish for.
Which turn out to be 'non-obvious' things, since almost nowhere in the world has Listened to what it takes to be inclusive of Closeted Peoples Aside from 0) above, some other examples are as follows.
1) CakeFaeries is inclusive of some Closeted People by having Meaningful Indirect Participation, such as our Scavenger Hunt's Chainwriting items or Cake delivery via Allies.
2) CakeFaeries involves many for-fun participants, so those Closeted People who do turn up can credibly pose as being further such.
3) CakeFaerie sign-up, event announcement... messages include sentences addressed to whatever proportion of our readers so happen to be Closeted about Anything.
* We have similarly listened for many years to what Avoidant Survivors, Non-Normative Survivors and other peoples who Don't (or then didn't) have recognition or representation elsewhere, and have factored these things into what CakeFaerie Activities are and how these are run.
* Many Peoples we have Listened to have expressed a desire for Safety and Security interactions rather than, or alongside, interaction with those with 'hitherto conventional' Listener skill-sets...
This is reflected in how Scouty CakeFaeries involves a bit of Safety and Security, whereas Duelly CakeFaeries can involve a lot of Personal Safety and Security for those wishing for such. Whether for their own use, or as Allies to one or more persons in very difficult situations. Duelly is, on the one hand, an approachably gentle setting to start considering such matters, and, on the other hand a rich enough context in which to develop very advanced real-life applicable skills such as losing a tail or avoiding 'chance encounters' with a bully.
* On the other hand, many people in difficult situations don't want to talk at all about what the matter is. What they have asked for instead is (often Meaningful Not-in-Person Participation in) Silly activities to take their mind off things. Chainwriting and other Scavenger Hunt Items List Sections suitable for Meaningful Not-in-Person Participation are the result; indeed some such people write Scavenger Hunt Items List Sections :)
* Many people in difficult situations moreover wish to raise awareness of generalities about what the matter is. This is as opposed to giving any specifics whatsoever about themselves or the difficult situations they are or have been in, viewing such specifics as one or both of highly private or a safety risk to disclose. So for instance, a Survivor may wish to make or extend resources for Survivors with no reference whatsoever to their own case history. G.I.V.E.N. by CakeFaeries is designed to allow for such possibilities.
* In conclusion, the name of this group of Safer Space Societies is now G.I.V.E.N. by CakeFaeries. We are fine with it if most people think that literally means that Cake is 'Given by CakeFaeries' [which is certainly true :) ], but certainly at the level of CakeFaerie organizers, we know that this means "General-Purpose (In)Visibility and Education Network by CakeFaeries" :)
For those further interested in such Listeny CakeFaeries matters, click on the pictures above this Section V for further links [Silly CakeFaeries might spell that "Lynx" ^_^ ] Scroll down to the end for a more detailed (if still not exactly complete) list of Peoples our activities support as a G.I.V.E.N. :)
* Another way to summarize our activities is that the CakeFaeries' Safer Spaces strive to do all good things that nobody else does.
This starts with much Cake Given by CakeFaeries,
extends to providing All-Year-Round Icebreaker Events (currently mostly in the form of Scavenger Hunting),
and to the Listeny CakeFaeries' Awareness pages and Ally Training in the form of G.I.V.E.N. by CakeFaeries' (In)Visibility and Education Network.
This start and extensions being the result of actually Listening to, and acting upon, what our Trans*, Ace, Closeted, Survivor... members have said over the past three decades.
* From a historical point of view, as time progresses the number of Safer Space Peoples with widespread recognition and acceptance increases, and exactly which Safer Space Peoples evolves accordingly.
Trans* people gained widespread recognition and acceptance around 2008, prior to which many had *just this group of Societies here* Listening to them and acting upon it...
Aces gained at least local recognition and acceptance around 2014. Unlike various other peoples who gained recognition and acceptance elsewhere, moreover, most of our Aces stayed here as well as doing Ace-specific things elsewhere. They have done so, endearingly, to be of assistance to other Safer Space Peoples who don't as yet have recognition of acceptance elsewhere.
Many such Safer Space people here, including most of our Closeted, Survivor... members are moreover only O.K. with A.V.E.N.-like peaceable action of making awareness and education available to those who are willing to listen to such matters. 'Only O.K. with' meaning as regards what they contribute and what they Consent for others to do on their behalf. While such peacable action existed before A.V.E.N., Aces' success in recognition and acceptance by such means was the first of its kind. And so other Peaceable-Action-Only Peoples - the Anactivistic Anacondas - have now ventured out to join our Ace Allies in building up G.I.V.E.N. by CakeFaeries :)
Doing all of these things means that we are not easily characterized by anything other than by striving to do all good things that nobody else does :) What is foremost at ours is why we do activities, rather than what our activities consist of... These whys resulting from of Listening to thousands of Safer Space Peoples over the past three decades that aren't (or weren't) welcome anywhere else, All the while handing down between our organizers the ever-growing lists of general points made, of diversity of peoples and of difficult situations, and of what kinds of activities and awareness webpages address what this multitude of people need and wish for. Which, after three decades, takes the form of this here G.I.V.E.N. by CakeFaeries, with its Listeny, Duelly, Silly, Hunty variants in addition to its Bakey and Scouty activities :)
VI. Some of the Safer Space Peoples whom we support through our activities...
We support Good Peoples who so far have been largely overlooked elsehere; some of these are Highly Invisible Peoples, by which we are in part an Invisibility Network :)
__________________________________ Finally, the below refers to encouraging more societies to state and mean such things on their webpages, constitutions... ____________________________________
To join, mail cakefaeries *at* gmail.com.